Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New Zealand Birds

I've never been much of a birder in Minnesota. Part of it is the old thing that you never do the "tourist" stuff in your own town. Then there's the fact that there are about 300 species of bird to be found in Minnesota, plus another hundred or so that pass through occasionally. Skimming through the Minnesota list, I've probably seen over 100 of them, but I've never bothered to keep track of which particular duck or warbler species I have or haven't seen.

Minnesota Ornithologists Union - Minnesota Bird Checklist

On the other hand, once I hit New Zealand, pretty much everything I see will be new (aside from the ubiquitous English Sparrow and Ring-Necked Pheasant). It should be good fun to see how many birds I can check off the list. Even better, how many can I catch in halfway decent pictures.

2 down 200 to go!

New Zealand Fantail
New Zealand Fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa)


Routeburn Flats Robin
Robin (Petroica australis)



http://bird.org.nz/nzrbn.htm



File Under: New Zealand,

No comments:

Post a Comment